The Vernon school system's projections indicate that 137 local students are attending magnet schools this year.
That will put the system in a budgetary line item hole of more than $100,000.
A total of $450,000 has been allocated for magnet school tuition for the 2012-13 fiscal year. That's an increase of $50,000 from the previous fiscal year.
But the 137 students come with a tuition total of $558,637, adding $108,637 to the school system's burden. LOcal systems are required to pay the tuition of its residents attending magnet schools.
Michael Purcaro, the director of business and finance for the school board, said the figures are preliminary, but added they will likely be accurate for the academic year.
Here is a breakdown of magnet schools and their tuitions, including both carry-over students from last year and students starting the schools this year:
• Academy of Aerospace Engineering - 4 carry-over students, 1 new student, $24,750.
• Greater Hartford Academy of Math & Science - half day - 1 new student, $4,043.
• Greater Hartford Academy of Math & Science - 1 carry-over student, $4,440.
• Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts - half day - 6 carry-over students, 4 new students, $40,430.
• Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts - full-day - 3 carry-over students, $13.341.
• Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts - elementary - 2 new students, $8,894.
• Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts - middle - 9 new students, $40,023.
• University of Hartford Magnet School - 11 carry-over students, 1 new student, $39,924.
• Great Path Academy - 5 carry-over students, $16,500.
• International Magnet School for Global Citizenship - 10 carry-over students, $37,400.
• Montessori Magnet School - 4 carry-over students, 1 new student, $14,640.
• Reggio Magnet School of the Arts - 3 carry-over students, $11,220.
• Metropolitan Learning Center - 2 carry-over students, $6,114.
• Public safety academy - 15 carry-over students, 2 new students, $80,750.
• Two Rivers Magnet Middle School - 7 carry-over students, 5 new students, $44,880.
• Two Rivers Magnet High School - 1 new student, $3,740.
• Medical Professions and Teacher Preparation Academy- 6 carry-over students, 9 new students, $69,000.
• Connecticut River Academy - 4 carry-over students, 3 new students, $32,053.
• Connecticut International Baccalaureate Academy - 12 carry-over students, $46,800.
• Museum Academy - 3 new students, $11,817.
• Discovery Academy - 2 new students, $7,878.
The Board of Education will likely address the line item as the fiscal year progresses, Purcaro said.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something