Development Group Targeting a Hotel for Kelly Road Parcels Asking Vernon for a Tax Abatement

The land sits between a shopping plaza and a local watering hole.

An application for a tax abatement has been submitted to Vernon by a group interested in developing an extended stay hotel on a Kelly Road parcel near the South Windsor line.
Vernon Economic Development Coordinator Shaun Gately said the Economic Development Commission is scheduled to discuss the potential terms on Wednesday. The meeting is scheduled for 7 a.m. at Town Hall. The commission traditionally meets before the business day begins.

Three parcels are targeted - 355, 359 and 361 on Kelly Road, Gately said. They sit between the Free Spirit Cafe and the Tri-City Plaza shopping center. It is an area of town known as Vernon Circle.

The development group is three-tiered under three business monikers - True Hospitality LLC, Antico Enterprises and Tri-City Plaza LLC.

The group wants to build a Candlewood Suites location on the site. The parcel sits across from a Holiday Inn Express. Both are among seven hotel brands under the IHG-Intercontinental Hotels Group umbrella.

Gately said a seven-year abatement is being discussed.

"The projects estimated costs allow the town some flexibility in crafting an abatement schedule that is mutually beneficial to the town and the applicant," he said.

Gately said exact cost figures will be included in the site plan application if the project moves forward. 

A sample of Vernon's abatement guidelines is attached.

The Kelly Road business corridor is home to a Tri-City Plaza driveway, the Free Spirit, the Holiday Inn Express, a smaller strip mall, Angellino's restaurant and TicketNetwork.

John Dolle October 05, 2012 at 08:18 PM
It must be the tough economy that drives a company to request an abatement for this length. A fertile local economy is needed, not a cash cow that delivers more fertilizer before it produces milk.
Vernon Taxpayer October 05, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Nance if they are getting seven year tax abatement. How would that help the residential taxpayers of Vernon? Enough with the tax abatements for businesses. The residential property owners are sick of paying their share of the taxes. Don't forget they are receiving services from the town, such as police, fire, emergency medical, etc.
Vernon Taxpayer October 06, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Do you know what an extended stay hotel is? We already have a problem with the homeless in the center of Rockvile. Do we really need a problem in the Vernon Circle area as well? The Vernon Circle area also has a bus line. Let's pass. We need businesses that are going to pay their own way. Also who approved this Economic Development Incentive Plan? If it is the business owners that are on the Economic Development Commission then I think we need to make sure that they live in town also. This way they also share the burden that they cast on the taxpayers of Vernon.
Nancy Krupienski October 06, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Vernon Taxpayer...I AGREE! If you are on our Economic Development Commission but you don't live in town, then how can you make decisions that are in the best interest of the taxpayers of the town you don't live in?? It would be mighty easy to say "Sure! It's not going to affect me!"
GG October 09, 2012 at 02:46 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that in order to serve on a Commission--any commission in town--you need to be a resident, because you need to have a vested interest in the well-being of the community, more so than if you were only a business owner in that town.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something