Monday is Columbus Day, a state and federal holiday that commemorates the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus' Oct. 12, 1492, landing in the New World.
In recent times, Columbus Day, which was designated a federal holiday in 1937, has become a day for many to celebrate their Italian-American heritage. For the majority of Americans, it also means a day off from work or school.
Here’s what’s closed on Monday:
- All federal, state and local city and town offices are closed.
- There is no trash collection.
- Most banks are closed.
- Schools are closed.
- The Rockville Public Library is closed.
- All post offices are closed and mail will not be delivered.
- The DMV is closed. Click here for more information.
- Connecticut Lottery Headquarters in Rocky Hill is closed.
- The Vernon Board of Education is meeting Tuesday and not the usual Monday.