[Updated 3:45 p.m.] South Windsor Man Accused of Stealing Assault Rifle Faces Additional Charges

Jordan Marsh, 26, is still being held on bond in connection to alleged East Windsor Riverview Gun Sales theft.

The South Windsor man accused of attempting to steal a long rifle from an East Windsor gun store last month is facing two additional charges stemming from him allegedly violating his probation.

Jordan Marsh, 26, whose most recent address was 485 King St. in South Windsor, was arrested after he allegedly attempted to steal a Bushmaster .50 caliber rifle from Riverview Gun Sales on Dec. 15, when an employee noticed that Marsh was leaving the store without paying for the $4,995.95 gun, according to East Windsor police.

Marsh was eventually charged with larceny in the third degree, robbery in the first degree, theft of a firearm and carrying a dangerous weapon and was held on a $2 million bond.

East Windsor Det. Matthew Carl said in an interview that Marsh indicated that he needed the gun because he was “being teased at work.”

During the investigation, police in Hartford seized an AR-15 rifle from a Hartford hotel that Marsh had checked into several days earlier, according to East Windsor police.

Before his arraignment hearing at Superior Court in Hartford on Tuesday morning, Marsh was served with an additional warrant charging him with stealing a firearm and criminal possession of a pistol. Bond was set for those additional charges at $100,000, according to court records.

Information contained in the warrant was not available as of press time. Marsh, however, was expected to plead not guilty to the charges stemming from his December arrest, though it was not known as of press time if he entered a plea to the additional charges from this morning's arrest warrant.

The matter was continued until Feb. 5, according to court records.

Marsh, who until recently lived with his father and stepmother, had previously received a two-year suspended sentence after police discovered in June 2011 that he had stolen 12 firearms from Riverview Gun Sales.

Marsh’s stepmother, Sharon Hodge, said in a telephone interview last month that Marsh has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had been living in their South Windsor home until Jordan was kicked out the week prior to his arrest after he neglected to take his medication and started behaving erratically.

Riverview Gun Sales was subsequently raided by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives shortly after Marsh’s arrest.

In 2007, Riverview Gun Sales owner David E. Laguercia notified the federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives that 33 guns were missing from his store, according to a Hartford Courant story. Of those 33 guns, 28 were recovered when police searched the home of Brian H. McClelland, who was a frequent customer of the store and helped out on occasion, the Courant reported.

According to published reports, one of the guns used by Adam Lanza in the Newtown shootings last month was legally purchased from Riverview Gun Sales by Adam’s mother, Nancy Lanza.

Check back with Patch for any additional information relating to this story.

Bob Lyke January 09, 2013 at 04:34 AM
I am repeating an earlier comment that some of you may have missed. I have personally experienced several scenarios, and know for a fact that in CT and Florida it is easier to obtain an illegal gun than it is to get professional mental healthcare. The real sad addendum to that story is that there are tons of Veterans that are not getting effective treatment and medication for PTSD. And with all these negative stories about illegal weapons being procured and used, what CT legislator in their infinite wisdom could possible want to expose the names and homes of the legal hand gun users and responsible firearms owners?
Maria Giannuzzi January 09, 2013 at 03:31 PM
ATF needs to do a thorough investigation of the gun store. The history of this particular gun store is not a good one. It's a good thing the East Windsor Police Department actively investigated this case. I am certain their vigilance prevented a tragedy.
Bob Lyke January 10, 2013 at 04:25 AM
I have every reason to believe that the BATFE did a thorough investigation. Gun and ammunition manufacturers and retailers appear to be guilty until proven innocent in CT. Perhaps the Governor/Legislature should be appointing a Mental Healthcare Commissioner and divert funds from the Anti-Business Development Commission to support healthcare in CT. I have tried to take the high road and not be facetious, but the lack of journalistic research, and the media quoting the media in the above article is preposterous. I missed my calling when photojournalists used to get paid by the column inch, and even back then you didn't have to report the facts.
IRTURONG January 10, 2013 at 03:15 PM
liberal agenda, a tragedy is a terrible thing to waste
Kathy Begin Bilodeau January 10, 2013 at 09:55 PM
My guess is that the parents were using "tough love", which would be why they would kick him out - to convince him he needed the medications. Since he is 26 years old, they probably have limited options. I'm sure they love their son and want the best for him. This young man needs help, and I pray that he gets it, so everyone can feel a bit more secure knowing he's not out getting more guns.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »