OK, who's going to win?
The New York Giants will square off against the New England Patriots on Sunday in Super Bowl XVLI, a matchup that a divided NFL state has been eating up.
The Sunset Station sports book in Las Vegas had the Pats at a 2 1/2-point favorite for the game on Friday afternoon, and the closeness is reflective on the absence of a consensus on who is going to emerge victorious.
And Vernon certainly can't make up its mind.
Here is a sampling of Super Bowl Predictions around town:
• Mayor George Apel - "Pats 31-27 … go pats!"
• Democratic Town Committee Chairman Stephen Taylor - "I believe that the Patriots will win, 35-32."
• Republican Town Committee Chairman Hal Cummings - "My heart is with the Giants, but my head tells me the Patriots by 10, 34-24."
• Deputy Mayor Brian Motola - "I am a New York Football Giants fan, as such I predict a big Giants victory. I would think the score might be 35 to 28. Both teams have defensive problems and potentially exploding offenses. We should see an exciting, pass-filled game, enjoyable for all of us. Go Giants!"
• Town Council member Adam Weissberger - "As someone who last season traveled to see all eight of the Giants road games, it is safe to say that I bleed Giant Blue! I think this game will be entertaining, but both teams will struggle defensively, especially in the secondaries. In the end, I see a repeat of Super Bowl XLII, with the Giants winning 27-24. Also, I am predicting no wardrobe malfunction for Madonna at halftime!"
• Superintendent of Schools Mary Conway - "Patriots 35, Giants 21. The Giants will put up a good fight but our New England Patriots will triumph!"
• Rockville High School Principal Eric Baim - "Although I am an Aaron Hernandez fan - he is a former student of mine - the Giants will prevail 30-24. Both teams can score but I don't think the Patriots have the secondary to stop the Giants receivers."
• Bryan Flint, magician: "Vikings 20-17, oops my purple + gold they didn't make it again! My magical prediction is the Patriots 26-20 in overtime! The most exciting game ever with the highest ratings ever! Feel free to add predictions in the comment stream."
So far, an unscientific, unmagical Vernon Patch poll has 84 people predicting a Pats victory, while 46 are siding with the Giants. Two voters said they are more interested in the commercials (probably disgruntled Jets fans) and two others said they do not care about football.
The poll is open until 3 p.m. on Sunday.